Canadian Cow-calf Cost of Production Network
NOTICE: If you have signed-up between August and November 2021, you will be contacted by a provincial coordinator in December. Anyone who is not scheduled for a focus group in 2022; will stay on the list for 2023. Check out the Results and Analysis pages for more information.
Watch the videos:
Canfax Research Services (CRS) is proud to present the Canadian Cow-calf Cost of Production Network (CDN COP Network) funded by the Beef Cattle Research Council (BCRC) and delivered with our provincial partners. The CDN COP Network will host 26 producer focus groups across Canada, consisting of 5-6 producers representing different eco-regions and production systems in each.
The objective is to develop baseline cost of production statistics in a way that minimizes the response burden on producers. Annual indexing means that producer data is collected every five years.
Scenarios will be developed considering what future farms could look like utilizing the 5% Rule approach to evaluate where incremental improvements could be made around productivity, input costs and output prices. This would be mindful of the fact that different farms have different limitations to land, labour and capital.
Producers within the focus groups will be encouraged to network in achieving the future farm results over the coming 3-5 years; supporting industry competitiveness and an attitude of continuous improvement that seeks out new innovations and management practices.
How to participate?
Participating producers will receive a $500 honorarium at the focus group session, one per operation. All individual results will be confidential and remain anonymous.
There will be sessions in every province from British Columbia to Prince Edward Island. Producers from all provinces (including Alberta) need to fill in the sign-up survey. Alberta producers must provide a data release form for the use of their AgriProfit$ data, as the AgriProfit$ program is feeding into the CDN COP Network. For all producers, if you are interested in participating:
What you get
1. Fill in the appropriate Sign-up Survey. These questions allow us to group 5-6 producers who operate in similar environments and have similar production systems.
- Cow-calf producers can sign-up here
- French version (Formulaire d-admission) here
- Dairy-Beef Producers can sign-up here
2. Come ready to share. The CDN COP Network Checklist for Producers (CDN COP Network Checklist for Producers - French) provides a summary of the type of information that will be asked.
3. Come ready to learn. The focus group allows producers the opportunity to learn from each other.
Participating producers will get:
- Farm summary of production system including production indicators
- Summary of baseline cow-calf enterprise data; with five years of historical indexing
- Summary of Future Farm scenarios
Check out the Results page for examples of existing baseline farms.
How will this be used?
The CDN COP Network will provide:
- Baseline data for 26 different types of cow-calf operations across Canada to benchmark from
- Future Farm scenarios for each of these baseline farms to identify opportunities
- Collaborative research projects are being built to find:
- Win-win solutions that both reduce cow-calf greenhouse gas emissions and make economic sense.
- Baseline dairy-beef production in Atlantic Canada
If you have questions about this process, please do not hesitate to check out the FAQs (FAQ's-French) or contact Canfax Research Services at (403) 275-5110 or CRS@canfax.ca